The application for 2019 Hillman Academy is now open. Click the link below to apply, information below.
Also feel free to check out our information flyer and share it with anyone interested.
IMPORTANT: We will be hosting 2 webinars to go over information about the program and application. Click the link to download the meeting app. Click again at the indicated time to join the meeting.
We accept applications from all high school students, but preference is given to rising juniors and seniors. Applicants must be in good academic standing and have no school suspensions on their records. No applicant is guaranteed admission to The UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Academy.
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age or older at the start of the program on June 10, 2019, to qualify for admission. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age or older to qualify for placement in the CB, CEBIG, TI, or WCRC sites.
The Hillman Academy holds its scholars to a high level of integrity. We expect scholars to act as honest, cooperative, and hard-working colleagues who are open to new ideas and challenges.
Those who are accepted into The Hillman Academy must agree to do the following:
- Honor the academic and ethical standards set forth by The University of Pittsburgh.
- Attend the full eight-week program (June 10 – August 2, 2019). Absences will not be excused unless written notification is submitted to and approved by program management prior to June 1, 2018 or in the case of medical/family emergencies. Attendance for the first and last weeks of the program is mandatory. Scholars will be excused on July 4, 2019.
- Report promptly to daily activities.
- Understand that The Hillman Academy may at any time dismiss a scholar whose conduct jeopardizes the community or is otherwise unacceptable.
Application Deadline and Materials
The application for the Hillman Academy will open around the end of December to Early January and close the beginning of March.
Applicants will be required to:
- Fill out an application form online
- Write 2 Essays
- Get recomendations from 2 references
- Submit a resume
- Submit a high school transcript
Specific instructions are on the application.
Dates of the Application: Mid-Novmeber – Februrary 8th, 2019
Dates of Program: June 10 – August 2, 2019
Move in for dorm students: June 9th
Don’t have a resume yet? Or do you want to update your old one? Check out these helpful links on creating a high school resume.
- Sample Resume for High School Students
- High School Resume Examples and Writing Tips
- Example Student-Teen Resume: QuintCareers
As part of your application, we ask for two references from people who can reflect on your academic and professional capabilities – especially in the area of science. Teachers and guidance counselors are good examples of people who can provide such references.
As a courtesy, you should always seek permission from your desired references to include them in your application before you submit your application. This way, they will know to expect correspondence from The Hillman Academy asking them to speak on your behalf. Furthermore, you should always follow up with your references once your application is submitted to ensure that they received all the necessary materials and may submit them by the deadline. (NOTE: References will be sent an email to submit their recomendation. This email can be blocked so please tell them to check their Spam folder if they do not recieve the email.)