The application for the 2021 Hillman Academy is Closed*.
The application for the Hillman Academy summer 2021 program has closed. We are currently reviewing applications and expect to have the around mid-April. Thank you for your patience and please contact us if you have any questions.
Note: Our application site has been updated since last year. User accounts are automatically updated but applications are not. If you wish to reuse an application from last year please follow the instructions on the application.
The program will be running either in person or virtually depending on the circumstances. A final decision on this will not be reached until after the application closes.
If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will be hosting 2 webinars to go over information about the program and application. Click the link to download the meeting app. Click again at the indicated time to join the meeting.
Webinar 1 – Click link for recording. Start at timestamp 8:30
Webinar 2 – Click link for recording.
We accept applications from all high school students, but preference is given to rising juniors and seniors. Applicants must be in good academic standing and have no school suspensions on their records. No applicant is guaranteed admission to The UPMC Hillman Cancer Center Academy.
Applicants must be at least 15 years of age or older at the start of the program on June 14th, 2021, to qualify for admission to CompBio and COSBBI sites. Applicants must be at least 16 years of age or older to qualify for placement in the CB, TDX, ICI, or WCRC sites.
The Hillman Academy holds its scholars to a high level of integrity. We expect scholars to act as honest, cooperative, and hard-working colleagues who are open to new ideas and challenges.
Those who are accepted into The Hillman Academy must agree to do the following:
- Honor the academic and ethical standards set forth by The University of Pittsburgh.
- Attend the full eight-week program (June 14 – August 6th). Absences will not be excused unless written notification is submitted to and approved by program management prior to June 1, 2021 or in the case of medical/family emergencies. Attendance for the first and last weeks of the program is mandatory. Scholars will be excused for the 4th of July.
- Report promptly to daily activities and events. The Hillman Academy is a fulltime program and we expect that students will spend 30-40 hours per week doing research. If accepted students should not have other classes, jobs, or other programs that interfere with this research.
- Understand that The Hillman Academy may at any time dismiss a scholar whose conduct jeopardizes the community or is otherwise unacceptable.
Application Deadline and Materials
The application for the Hillman Academy will open in November and close in February.
Applicants will be required to:
- Fill out an application form online
- Write 2 Essays
- Get recomendations from 2 references
- Submit a resume
- Submit a high school transcript
Specific instructions are on the application.
Dates of the Application: December 1, 2020 – March 8*, 2021
Dates of Program: June 14 – August 6, 2021
Move in for dorm students: June 13, 2021
Don’t have a resume yet? Or do you want to update your old one? Check out these helpful links on creating a high school resume.
- Sample Resume for High School Students
- High School Resume Examples and Writing Tips
- Example Student-Teen Resume: QuintCareers
As part of your application, we ask for two references from people who can reflect on your academic and professional capabilities – especially in the area of science. Teachers and guidance counselors are good examples of people who can provide such references.
As a courtesy, you should always seek permission from your desired references to include them in your application before you submit your application. This way, they will know to expect correspondence from The Hillman Academy asking them to speak on your behalf. Furthermore, you should always follow up with your references once your application is submitted to ensure that they received all the necessary materials and may submit them by the deadline. (NOTE: References will be sent an email to submit their recomendation. This email can be blocked so please tell them to check their Spam folder if they do not recieve the email.)