As part of the Hillman Academy, we are given funding to compensate some students for their attendance. This compensation is specifically for students who come from underrepresented background as defined by our two funders, the NIH and the Doris Duke Charitable Foundation. 

In previous years this compensation was referred to as a stipend, this is the still the same thing but just renamed, there is no difference for students and it will not affect eligibility into the undergraduate internship. 

New Criteria:  

  1. Were or currently are homeless, as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
  2. Were or currently are in the foster care system, as defined by the Administration for Children and Families;
  3. Were eligible for the Federal Free and Reduced Lunch Program for two or more years;
  4. Have/had no parents or legal guardians who completed a bachelor’s degree (see the U.S. Department of Education);
  5. Were or currently are eligible for Federal Pell grants (;
  6. Received support from the Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children as a parent or child;
  7. Grew up in one of the following areas: a) a U.S. rural area, as designated by the Health Resources and Services Administration Rural Health Grants Eligibility Analyzer, or b) a Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services-designated Low-Income and Health Professional Shortage Areas  (qualifying zip codes are included in the file). Only one of the two possibilities in #7 can be used as a criterion for the disadvantaged background

Those wishing to apply for compensation may do so on their online application form. Those who are awarded compensation must complete the following paperwork and submit it to Hillman Academy management upon acceptance into the program:

  • I9 form
  • Complete residency payroll form
  • Complete local income form
  • W4 and direct deposit forms
  • Copies of SS card and photo ID


Scholars who do not receive compensation will be brought into the program as volunteers and, therefore, will be required to complete UPMC volunteer paperwork prior to the start of the program. Volunteer paperwork includes but is not limited to:

  • An online volunteer application
  • Two (2) reference forms (can be taken from your application)
  • An online volunteer orientation
  • A parental consent form (for applicants under 18) or a criminal background history (for applicants 18 and over)
  • A pre-assignment questionnaire
  • A volunteer agreement
  • TB test results (done within the past 12 months)

Driver’s license/photo ID (for American citizens) or Permanent resident card (for those who are not American citizens) or Copy of I-94, visa and passport (for non-immigrants)

TB Testing

Tuberculosis (TB) test results are required for scholars participating in operating room (OR) tours scheduled by their respective sites. The TB test results must be negative and no older than 12 months. Those entering the program as volunteers are automatically expected to submit TB test results in compliance with Volunteer policies, but compensated scholars should expect to do so as well if they intend to participate in an OR tour.